Donning and Doffing
Wearable with glasses, goggles, masks, N95 respirator masks, and half facepiece elastomeric respirators.
Adjust fabric strap to fit your head, first use only. No need to undo strap at Velcro® when removing the FaceShield.
When doffing, grab rear strap and pull it up and over the head, gently allowing FaceShield to fall forward. Perform cleaning and disinfection (see Storage). Perform hand hygiene.
When donning after initial adjustment, simply pull strap over head.
Cleaning and Disinfection
- Prepare an area for disinfection of the FaceShield by first cleaning and sanitizing a table or counter surface.
- Carefully wipe the inside and then the outside of the shield using a clean cloth saturated with neutral detergent solution. Rinse if needed.
- Carefully wipe the outside of the shield using a clean cloth or wipe saturated with germicidal disinfectant solution; be sure shield remains wet for the required contact time. Avoid using the germicidal wipe on the foam and strap. DO NOT use germicidal disinfectant on the inside of the face shield as it can damage anti-fog coating agent.
- Wipe the outside of the shield with clean water to remove residue.
- Dry completely (air dry or use clean absorbent towels).
- Rest the cleaned/disinfected FaceShield on the clean surface.
- Doff gloves, perform hand hygiene.
- Store disinfected FaceShield in paper bag provided (see Storage) in a locker for later reuse or as directed by your health care facility policy and procedures.
- Perform hand hygiene after removing the FaceShield and before putting it on again if your workplace is practicing reuse.
Each FaceShield with ID Band comes individually packaged with a paper bag suitable for storing the device and other PPE in a work locker. We recommend recording each reuse with a tally mark system on the storage bag or ID band.
Store in a cool, dry location out of sunlight. To prevent damage, the FaceShield should be stored in its original shape and form. Do not roll or bend.
Write-on ID band and provided paper storage bag make is easy to keep PPE separate by health care professional between uses.
Reuse Guidelines and Considerations
FaceShields should be dedicated to a single, individual health care professional.
Disinfection of the FaceShield is required between uses. Fogging should not occur if cleaned as directed. If clarity of shield is reduced when worn, wipe off the outer side of the device with a soft, damp cloth to remove any disinfectant residue.
The following usage recommendations are based on findings in simulated use tests performed by Community Health Associates, LLC.
- If using a bleach wipe or similar solution for disinfection, the recommended repeated uses is no greater than 30 uses.
- If using a hydrogen peroxide wipe or similar solution for disinfection, the recommended repeated uses is no greater than 50 uses.
Please note: The reuse results listed above are estimates. Environmental, reprocessing, and individual user factors may impact number of uses per FaceShield.
Download a printable PDF of this information: Faceshield with ID Band Care and Cleaning PDF